Allah Ta’al says in the Quraan Kareem:
“And the lord inspired the bee, saying: Take your habitations in the mountains and in the trees and in what they erect. Then, eat of all fruits and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)’. There comes forth from their bellies a drink of varying color wherein is healing for men. Verily in this is indeed a sign for people who think.”
It is narrated in the Sahihain that Abu Said Al Khudri Radi Allaho Anhu said:
A man came to Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) & and said, “My brother is complaining about stomach, or he is complaining about diarrhoea”. Our beloved Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, “Give him some honey”. The man went and came back later, saying, I have given him some honey, but it did not help, or he said, “It made his diarrhoea worse”. He repeated this twice or three times, all the while the Prophet continued saying to him, “Give him some honey”. In the third or fourth time, Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم) said,
صَدَقَ اللهُ، وكَذَبَ بَطْنُ أَخِيكَ
“Allah has said the truth while your brother’s stomach has lied.”
A Hadith [narrated by Ibn Majah and others] stated that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:
علَيْكُم بالشِّفَاءَيْنِ: العَسَلِ والقُرآنِ
“Make use of the two cures: Honey and the Quran”.
This Hadith joins the material and the divine cures, the medicine of the body and the soul, the earthly medicine and the heavenly cure.
Understanding these facts, let us go back to the man to whom Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم)had prescribed honey to cure his diarrhoea, which was caused by overeating. Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم)prescribed honey for him to rid his stomach and intestines from accumulating harmful substances or excretions that prevents the food in the stomach from being digested, because honey has a cleansing effect. The harmful, viscid substances were adhering to the stomach walls, which is similar to the material of a towel, polluting both the stomach and the food. Honey removes these substances that engulf the stomach, and it is the best cure for this condition. Honey is a potent cleanser and is effective in treating cases of diarrhoea, especially when the honey is mixed with warm water.
Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) repeated his command to the man, to give some honey to his sick brother for a good reason. The prescribed medicine should be in sufficient doses; otherwise, the ailment will not be fully cured. When the prescribed medicine is in a larger than necessary dose, it will weaken the body and cause side effects. When Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) first ordered the man to give his brother honey, he did not give him a sufficient amount to cure his condition. When the man said that his brother was not cured, Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) knew that the dose was not sufficient, so he told the man several times to give his brother more honey, so that the dose would reach a sufficient amount, When the sick person has several doses of honey in a sufficient amount to fight the disease, the cure occurs by Allah’s permission. Giving the correct dose of the proper medicine is a major part of the science of medicine.
When Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said to the man:
“Allah has Said the truth and your brother’s stomach has lied”.
This indicates the sure effectiveness of the honey. It also explains that the illness remained not because the prescribed medicine was not effective, but because the stomach had a large amount of spoiled substances in it. Therefore, Rasulullah (صلى الله عليهوسلم), ordered the man to take more medicine because his stomach contained excessive amounts of spoiled substances.
- a food,
- a drink,
- a sweet,
- a remedy
- a type of refreshment and
- an ointment,
- numerous medicinal values.
Therefore, there is no other substance that is more beneficial than honey or that even rivals its value. This is why the people of old relied on honey, for most of the books of old do not mention sugar, as this was discovered in modem times.
Honey has tremendous medicinal value,
- It washes away the harmful substances that might be collected in the veins and the intestines.
- Honey dissolves excess moisture,
- is beneficial as a drink and as an ointment,
- It is of great value for the elderly, and those suffering from phlegm and cold moods or condition (chills).
- Honey is nutritious,
- Softens one’s bowel movement and
- Is a good preserving agent.
- In addition, honey reduces the bitter taste of other medicines,
- Cleanses the liver and the chest,
- Aids in producing urine,
- Dissolves the phlegm that is accompanied by coughing.
- When honey is consumed hot and mixed with rose oil, it cures animal bites and the effects of opium.
- Taking honey mixed with water helps against the bite of a rabid dog and the effects of eating poisonous mushrooms.
- If fresh meat is kept in honey, it preserves its freshness for three months. Likewise if gourds, cucumbers and eggplants are kept in honey, they too will be preserved.
- Furthermore, honey will keep some types of fruit fresh for six months.
- It preserves dead corpses, thus deserving to be called, “The true preserver”.
- When honey is applied to someone that is infected with lice, it will kill both the lice and the eggs.
- Honey will add softness and beauty to the hair while allowing it to grow longer.
- When honey is applied to the eye as Kohl (eyeliner), it will strengthen weak eyesight.
- Honey whitens the teeth, preserves their health and the health of the gums,
- Opens the orifice of the veins along with causing the flow of menstruation.
- Furthermore, licking honey on an empty stomach will help the body get rid of mucus and phlegm. It cleanses the stomach and rids it of harmful substances or mixtures, heats the stomach mildly and opens up the pores.
- Honey has similar effects on the kidneys, the prostate, urinary bladder and the liver.
- Furthermore, honey is the least harmful sweet substance for congesting the liver and kidneys.
- Adding to all these benefits that we mentioned, honey does not have any side effects, nor harm except for those suffering from bile and who should take it with vinegar to neutralize its harm.
Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) used to drink some honey mixed with water on an empty stomach. There is a wonderful secret behind this practice regarding preserving the health. Only those who enjoy sound comprehension will be able to recognize such a secret.
From the book Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet By Imam Ibn Qayyim Al-Jauziyah