The liver is responsible for food metabolism and the detoxification of natural and synthetic substances.
It is also part of a network that helps a person manage stress.
Toxins that overload the liver are considered a form of Heat as are stresses that lead to anger.
A diet that helps to cool the Liver network avoids:
- spicy food
- overly rich foods
- artificial additives and colorings.
Stir frg and steaming foods along with some raw foods as opposed to roasting, baking or deep frg is recommended.
Highly processed foods and well as oily and fatty foods should be avoided.
Where ever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Liver Heat and Liver Fire
- Rice, millet, wheat, barley, oats
- Celery, spinach, swiss chard, cucumber, lettuce, daikon radish, asparagus,
- Eggplant, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, alfalfa
- Sprouts, mung bean sprouts, watercress, chrysanthemum leaves and flowers, bamboo shoots, turnips, carrots, waterchestnuts
- Apples, pears, watermelon, plums
- Tofu, tempeh, soy milk, yogurt, mung beans
- Spirulina, kelp and other seaweeds, peppermint
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Chilies, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, onions, shallots, leeks, cloves, wasabi
- Coffee, vinegar, mustard, horseradish, chocolate,
- Lamb and large amounts of other red meats, shrimp, prawns, cheese
- Citrus fruits, peanuts, lard, margarine
- All fried foods, BBQ’d foods, cigarettes, alcohol, recreational stimulants
- Artificial preservatives, artificial colorings and all highly processed foods