- Overly spicy foods and artificial ingredients should be avoided.
- Soups, stews and cooked foods in general with plenty of complex
- Carbohydrates and vegetables should be emphasized.
- The diet should include roughly equal proportions of grains, vegetables (especially green leafy vegetables) and fruit (preferably cooked or stewed).
- Protein should make up 10 – 20% of the diet.
- Where ever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Rising Liver Yang
- Wheat, oats, rice, millet, barley, millet
- Carrots, chrysanthemum leaves and flowers, oyster mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms
- string beans
- Chicken eggs, tofu, black beans, black soybeans, kidney beans.
- Pears, mulberries, blueberries, blackberries
- Black sesame seeds, soy milk, cow’s milk
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Spicy foods in general, curries dishes, BBQ’d foods
- Chilies, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, onions, shallots, leeks, basil, cloves, wasabi
- Coffee, vinegar, pickles, tea
- Lamb, shrimp, prawns, game meats
- Citrus fruits, melons
- Cigarettes, alcohol, recreational stimulants