Blood Stasis refers to impaired blood circulation and micro circulation.
This can have wide-ranging effects from decreased oxygen supply to impaired endocrine and immune system functioning.
Diet recommendations for this pattern aim to:
- Avoid foods that can impair circulation and
- increase foods that remove stasis.
- General dietary recommendations include:
- Regular eating times,
- Eating moderate amounts and
- Chewing thoroughly to savor flavors.
- Raw foods and cold foods (ex: ice cream) will constrict circulation and should be avoided.
- Eating while distracted or emotionally stressed should also be avoided.
- The diet should also include plenty of fragrant and lightly spiced dishes.
- Highly processed foods and well as oily and fatty foods should be avoided.
- Where ever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Blood Stasis Patterns
- Turmeric, basil, nutmeg, oregano, rosemary, white pepper, hawthorne berries
- Shallots, leeks, chives, garlic, ginger, taro root, eggplant, mushrooms especially wood ear mushrooms
- Adzuki beans, chestnuts, kidney beans
- Sugar cane, vinegar, rose water
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Salads, raw fruits, raw vegetables
- Excess amounts of tofu, dairy or nut butters and other high oil foods
- Overly sweet foods, refined sugars, high doses of vitamin C
- Cold foods like ice cream or smoothies
- Iced drinks including ice water