In cases of Heart Qi and Yang deficiency foods that strengthen and warm the Heart should be eaten.
It is worth remembering that Heart includes not only the heart muscle but also aspects of overall blood circulation and mental activity.
- It is best to consume fresh foods that are slightly cooked so that they are more readily digested and absorbed.
- Overly rich, oily or heavy foods should be avoided because they can overwhelm the digestive system.
- Cold foods such as raw fruits and vegetables, tofu, and ice cream should also be avoided.
- Fragrant, spicy and warming foods should be included to help circulate Qi and Blood.
- Where ever possible choose organically grown foods.
Specific foods for Heart Qi and Yang deficiency
- Cooked whole grains, rice, oats, roasted barley, sweet rice, spelt, millet
- Pumpkin, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, corn, parsnips, yams, peas, onions,
- Leeks, garlic, turnip, mushrooms including oyster & shitake
- Chick peas, black beans, kidney beans, fava beans, eggs
- Chicken, beef. mackerel, tuna, anchovy.
- Lychee fruit, mulberries, grapes, dates, figs, cherries
- Black pepper, fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel, molasses, rice syrup,
- Barley malt, sugar cane
Additional foods for Heart Qi and Yang deficiency
- Goat milk, lamb, cinnamon, dried ginger, ginseng, walnuts, chives
Foods to restrict or avoid
- Salads, raw fruits, citrus, wheat, sprouts, wheat grass, raw vegetables, tomatoes,
- Spinach, swiss chard
- Tofu, dairy, nut butters and other high oil foods
- Overly sweet foods, refined sugars, high doses of vitamin C, seaweeds, chocolate
- Cold foods like ice cream or smoothies
- Iced drinks including ice water, iced drinks including ice water, strong tea, coffee